Monday, September 17, 2007

Sally Field Anti-War Remark Censored Out From Fox Viewers

Fox US producers of Sunday's Emmy telecast censored best drama actress winner Sally Field Sunday evening after she veered off into a remark criticizing the US invasion of Iraq.

"If mothers ruled the world, there wouldn't be any god -" she said when the sound went dead and the camera suddenly turned away from the stage so viewers would be distracted. Chopped off were the words "god-damned wars in the first place." According to the LA Times, the phrase was not censored in the Canadian telecast.)

Technically, the use of "goddamn" is not profane, according to a 2003 FCC ruling regarding Bono's use of "goddamn" at the 2003 Golden Globes.

Field bested Edie Falco for "The Sopranos."

Backstage, in the press room later, Field told reporters, according to the Times "I would have liked to have said more four-letter words up there!" and "Oh, well. I've been there before!" when asked about the gag.

"Good," she added. "I don't care. I have no comment other than, 'Oh, well.' I said what I wanted to say. I wanted to pay homage to the mothers of the world. And I very, very seriously think that if mothers ruled the world we wouldn't be sending our children off to be slaughtered."
Raw Story article

hit tracker