Friday, December 14, 2007

Controversy seems a brewin' over Huckabee's covenant marriage

Seems the news that in 2005 Huckabee and his wife entered into a covenant marriage.

As Governor of Arkansas, I led the successful effort to make our state only the third to adopt "covenant" marriage. While Massachusetts was allowing homosexuals to marry,I got Arkansas to become only the third state to adopt "covenant" marriage. My wife Janet and I upgraded our vows on Valentine's Day, 2005. Today, many churches in Arkansas will perform only covenant marriages, so I'm hoping we'll see a decline in our divorce rates. more at NYT

Huckleberry seems to want our constitution amended also to meet his beliefs:

I would try to do the same things that I did as governor of Arkansas, where I led a constitutional amendment that was passed overwhelmingly by our voters that affirmed what marriage is. Marriage is a relationship between one man, one woman, for life. I also believe that we need to do other things. I declared a state of marital emergency in our state, called pastors and other clergy together to commit to community marriage policies, to not engage in carrying on marriages unless they had counseled with the couple beforehand. We were one of the few states that passed a covenant marriage bill in Arkansas. I would support strongly and lead--not just support, but lead--an effort to have a constitutional amendment to affirm marriage as between one man, one woman, for life.

In '98 Huckabee signed an ad urging women to 'graciously submit to their husbands'

Is he going to take away our scientific logic of evolution too, since he doesn't believe in that?

Wiki on covenant marriages
Covenantmarriage.com
hit tracker